Asemic writing is something I’ve done since I was a kid. As I go, I figure out the visual grammar of the writing, then sometimes some grammar for what characters can go together. It’s entirely intuitive, though I correct as I go for aesthetic reasons, often integrating “corrections” into further use of the character I corrected.
This one contains three different languages — maybe four, but one might just be an alternate script. It’s obviously not a full Rosetta Stone because the number of characters varies so widely.
At a certain point, I started requiring myself to make actual grammar for these languages. Each of the little samples in the back of Human Contact took at least several hours, and there’s an error in one of them that drives me nuts. But I’m trying to remember to creative freely sometimes, to ignore what I’ve learned and stretch my intuition. This is one of those times.
Thanks to my Patreon xenophiliacs who encouraged me to take it easy this month. I really needed it. I’ve been pushing myself to solve several big creative problems with getting Eyes Wide to the Stars to work so I can explore some ideas for Shock:2 and further work on Liberation Technology and pushing harder isn’t making me think clearly.